Pursuing a Dream

A third-year student at NSU’s Halmos College of Arts and Sciences, Temitope Ogunnaike is working towards her bachelor’s degree in biological sciences as the first step in pursuing a career in medicine. Ogunnaike is a recipient of the Brown Family Endowed Scholarship.

“Receiving this scholarship will allow me to continue chasing my dreams,” Ogunnaike said. “It is a great honor to be a recipient of this generous scholarship.”

Born and raised in Broward County, Ogunnaike chose to attend NSU because of its success in helping students excel in the health care field. “Although my academic journey as an underrepresented college student has not been an easy one, I am proud that my perseverance has led me to pursue many opportunities offered at NSU,” she added.

During her time at NSU, Ogunnaike has repeatedly earned a place on the dean’s list. She is the chartering president of Black Women in Medicine, an organization that strives to provide underrepresented minority women with the skills, knowledge, and experiences necessary to become future health care professionals. She currently works at the Center for Academic and Professional Success and serves as a university peer leader, helping incoming freshmen adapt to college life.

Ogunnaike hopes to utilize her degree, which includes minors in psychology for health sciences, pre-health, and public health, to establish a career as a physician assistant (PA) and eventually open a free, nonprofit clinic for those without access to health resources.

“My passion has always been assisting others and trying to improve their quality of life.” Ogunnaike said. “I think that pursuing a career as a PA will provide me the opportunity to help improve the community’s health quality conditions and learn about people’s medical needs.”

She also plans to continue her education and specialize in the field of neonatology, adding her own knowledge to pre-natal research and helping babies begin a healthy life.

“I want to contribute to underrepresented populations in the United States that struggle every day to sustain a family and that do not have access to medical assistance,” she explained.

“The Brown family’s earnest investment in my future goals will not be forgotten,” she added. “Thank you again.”

For more information on how to support an NSU giving opportunity, please contact Alissa Hechter, assistant vice president of development for NSU University Advancement, at (954) 262-2408 or via email at ah833@nova.edu.