Student Spotlight: Brianna Burch

Brianna Burch is a first-generation college student focused on completing school and embarking on a successful career. She says that her path to NSU included bumps and road blocks, but she made it a point to keep her head held high. Her determination and service to the African-American community helped her earn the Milton L. and Barbara H. Jones Endowed Scholarship.

Brianna recently had the opportunity to thank Mr. and Mrs. Jones for their contribution to her education.

“I would like to say thank you, with the deepest appreciation to everyone that has made it possible for me to receive a gift that will make such an impact on my life,” said Brianna. “I come from a home where one parent spent 10 years of my life in prison and the other on another side of town. I can say with certainty that I will not take this scholarship for granted. College is my only way out and receiving this gift has made it possible for me to continue on with my dream.”

At NSU, Brianna works in undergraduate admissions and enjoys welcoming students to the school. She is striving to earn a bachelor’s degree in Behavioral Neuroscience. Brianna told the Joneses she hopes to become a neuroscientist and eventually be known as one of Florida’s greatest researchers. Her field of interest is Alzheimer’s/Dementia, as her grandmother was recently diagnosed with the disease. Brianna shared that her grandmother began taking care of her at the age of 11 months. She said that finding a cure or solution to dementia would be a final thank you.

After hearing Brianna’s story and how she is using the scholarship, Mrs. Jones told her, “you make my heart happy.”

Mr. Jones, a member of NSU’s Board of Trustees, added that when he was in school, he had limited resources at that time, and he had hoped to be successful enough to one day establish a scholarship for others.

The Milton L. and Barbara H. Jones Endowed Scholarship is awarded to NSU undergraduate students with financial need who have worked or volunteered for an agency or organization that has provided economic or social services to members of the African American community.

Brianna is grateful that the fund is helping her reach her present goals and look toward the future.

“As a future alumna, I will be able to guide other students. It will be such an honor to do so,” said Brianna. “Thank you for your support and may you continue to provide such a special gift onto future students!”