When Disaster Strikes …

Shark Nation comes to the aid of students, employees, and alumni who find themselves facing insurmountable challenges after violent storms. The NSU Cares Fund was created to provide relief after such disasters, and the NSU community came together once again after Hurricane Fiona and Hurricane Ian struck too close to home this fall.

“Thank you so much for your donation. I am a resident of Puerto Rico. While living here, I experienced Hurricane Fiona and lost power and water service for almost a week,” wrote NSU Cares Fund recipient Sandra Flores. “I could not even boil water because my stove is electric. With unsanitary conditions, my home became uninhabitable and unsafe for me and my dog Rocco. Your donation will help us with our recovery. I appreciate it so much.”

More than 315 individuals have contributed more than $21,785 to the fund since September 2022. The NSU Cares team received nearly 200 requests for emergency relief aid, and 75 percent of those applications were from current students.

The NSU Cares Fund was bolstered by gestures and gifts like that of Marc Crocquet, vice president of business services at NSU. He was struck by how many applicants needed help, so he challenged his fellow NSU President’s Council members to make a donation. For each person who accepted the challenge, Crocquet made an additional gift. The assistance truly makes a difference for those who must contend with the destruction of a natural disaster.

After losing almost everything, including my family’s home, due to Hurricane Ian, I am so very grateful to NSU Cares and proud to be an NSU alumna,” Annabel Brewster wrote. “The aftermath of Ian has left my family and myself displaced, and in a place of trying to recover. The NSU Cares donation will help toward these efforts, and for that I’m beyond thankful.”

For more information on how to support the NSU Cares Fund, please visit www.nova.edu/nsu-cares.